If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (972) 496-2441

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

5 Hazards that are Rare, but True.

10/5/2021 (Permalink)

A 9V battery, sawdust and paintbrush. Fire is destructive no matter the cause. Read about 5 rare, but real hazards.

Everyone knows that house fires can be caused by leaving things unattended on the stove, candles, smoking, lint accumulation in the dryer and outdoor grills that get out of control.

But there are also other, more bizarre ways that fires have started in homes – here are 5 that we’ve seen in our experience:

1 – Recalled Appliances – take a look at the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website (www.cpsc.gov/Recalls) to make sure your microwave or computer battery hasn’t been recalled.

2 – Excess Sawdust – if you’re a DIYer, then you may have sawdust on your work surfaces. Make sure to clean workspaces with a vacuum designed to collect combustible materials to avoid accumulating dust which is flammable.

3 – Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer – ok, we told you these were rare, but there are foods that are highly flammable, including the powdered creamer you may use in your coffee. Make certain you never spill this near an open flame to avoid a disaster during breakfast.

4 – 9-Volt Batteries – all batteries should be disposed of safely, but especially the 9-Volts. These have been known to spark when in contact with metal while in a trash can or junk drawer.

5 – Linseed Oil – if you use this to polish your butcher block countertops or other wood furnishings, make sure you wash the rag immediately after use as they can spontaneously combust.

Fire is destructive whether caused by a common or rare situation. Please exercise caution and know your risks. Proper fire safety is everyone’s responsibility.

Other News

View Recent Posts