October is Fire Prevention Month and the perfect time to educate the family about fire safety. One of the most important things in surviving a home fire is to have functioning alarms throughout your home.
Tragically, 3 out of 5 home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.
The US Fire Administration recommends the following:
- Have both a smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide alarm on each level of the home – and in every bedroom.
- Smoke alarms should be 10 feet away from cooking appliances to avoid “false” alarms.
- Test the alarms at least one time a month with everyone present so that they will know what the sounds mean.
- Choose interconnected alarms so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Replace alarms every 10 years.
- If you are a renter, you have a right to ask your landlord to install alarms outside each bedroom on the property.
Your family should be familiar with the sounds of the alarms and what they mean. Usually one beep indicates the battery needs replacing and 3 simultaneous beeps means smoke has been detected. When you hear a smoke alarm, you may have less than 2 minutes to get everyone outside and safe.
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration, we stand on over 50 years of experience and expertise to help ensure you stay safe, informed, and ready for any disaster that comes your way. The time to prepare is now. SERVPRO North Garland is ready to help at any time.