Storm Damage Cleanup
While we typically consider storm season to be during the spring here in Texas, technically it is storm season all year round. Our high temperatures and tendency for drastic temperature changes overnight create the perfect environment for violent storms. Cleaning up after one of these storms can be frustrating and time consuming if you aren't sure where or how to start. SERVPRO is here to help whenever needed, but we have also compiled a list of tips that are useful for any home or business owner when it comes to storm cleanup:
- Consider safety hazards.
- Watch out for loose debris. Know how to shut off the electricity in affected areas. Educate your employees and family on how to do this safely and correctly.
- Examine outside doors and windows.
- Outside doors and windows are exposed to any and every storm. Ensure all door handles and knobs as well as window locks are still working properly. This can help prevent more water from entering and deter possible break ins.
- Disinfect contaminated surfaces.
- Remove all contaminated material when cleaning after a storm, particularly after a flood. Cleaning the contaminated areas helps to prevent the spread from infected areas to other surfaces.
- Restore plumbing and water line.
- After storm damage, specifically flooding, water lines can be clogged or cause them to back flow. By ensuring they are clear, you can limit the chance of closures and odor issues.
For any and all of your cleanup needs after a water, mold, or fire damage call SERVPRO of North Garland at 972-496-2441.